Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Today

The weather today is crisp and pleasant,
sunny and warm with no humidity,
and the light is shining through the branches,
making little blinding patterns on walls and stairwells
All you need is a thin jacket and long trousers
And possibly a decorative hat if you wish.

Just yesterday she was stomping around,
swaddled in down feather and wool,
and huffing and puffing, thinking,
I'm so cold, I'm so cold, I'm so cold,
breathing in and out the taste of pine and metal,
to the rhythm of her heavy footsteps on the concrete.

But today her limbs move freely,
and she walks casually,
breathes easily with nothing to think about.

The ice does so well to distract from wicked thoughts,
I'm going nuts, I'm going nuts, I'm going nuts,
And on cold days she is so good,
at keeping these in the no-mans-land of the brain,
and not in the mind.
But today they can seep in.

I'm losing my mind,
And she hopes it is freezing tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment